Category:Environment, geoscience & remote sensing
Utilizing technology to explore our environment has been a crucial component to the development of human civilization. From ancient applications such as using the stars to navigate the seas to modern radar systems and air traffic control, exploration, mapping and remote detection have always been a driving force in innovation. This category includes topics not only related to remote sensing, but also topics related to the environment at large, including geoscience and oceanic engineering.
The demands placed on society by World War II brought upon major developments in remote sensing. The MIT Radiation Laboratory pioneered developments in radar and established a precedent for large ties between government, industry and academia for scientific research development.
IEEE's interests in this area are represented by the IEEE Geoscience & Remote Sensing Society and the IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society History which publish such journals like IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Transactions on Geoscience & Remote Sensing, Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, and the IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering.
- Atmosphere - Topics pertaining to Earth's atmosphere including the ionosphere and magnetosphere
- Biosphere - The Earth's biosphere encompasses all of its ecosystems and living beings
- Cyclones - Issues relating to different kinds of cyclones such as hurricanes, tropical storms and typhoons
- Earth - Topics which deal with the planet as a whole
- Earthquakes - Massive forces of destruction, earthquakes present unique engineering challenges for infrastructure stability
- Environmental factors - Environmental concerns that impact our daily lives including global warming and pollution
- Environmental management - Topics related to active management of the environment
- Geography - Concerns that apply to geographical areas such as cities, towns, rivers, forests
- Geology - Topics dealing with the earth's crust and composition
- Geophysics - The physics of the earth itself, including such topics like meteorology, seismology and tornadoes
- Ice - Engineering concerns related to ice shelves, surfaces and thickness
- Imaging - Devices which display an object's outward appearance
- Levee - Dams which regulate the flow of water, sometimes used for hydroelectric power generation
- Marine technology - Underwater technology and devices including various forms of equipment and structures
- Oceans - Topics pertaining to all aspects of oceanic engineering
- Radar - Radio detection and ranging, an object detection system using radio waves
- Radiometry - The study and measurement of electromagnetic radiation
- Remote sensing - Sensors which operate by wireless means
- Terrain mapping - Cartography and other methods and topics dealing with mapping
- Volcanoes - Topics relating to volcanic activity, ash and planetary volcanoes
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
Pages in category "Environment, geoscience & remote sensing"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 200 total.