IEEE Latvia Section History
Are you a member of this section? Please help expand the article by using the edit tab....
The IEEE Latvia Section is part of Region 8 and covers the area of the Republic of Latvia.
The first talks about foundation of IEEE Latvia Section started in 2004, when IEEE Lithuania Section Officers visiting Riga Technical University. Finally, in 2007, during the meeting of European Nordic and Baltic countries IEEE Section officers, which was held in Riga, IEEE members from Latvia formed petition for the creation of Latvia Section.
IEEE Latvia Section was founded February 16, 2008, with the first elected Chair Professor Leonids Ribickis. Since its creation, the Latvia Section has been working professionally in various activities, mainly within the city of Riga.
|2008||Armands Srazds – Deputy Chair|
|2009|| Leonids Ribickis
||Elmars Bekeris||Armands Srazds||Atis Kapenieks|
|2010||Leonids Ribickis||Andrejs Romanovs||Oskars Krievs||Atis Kapenieks|
|2011||Leonids Ribickis||Andrejs Romanovs||Oskars Krievs||Atis Kapenieks|
|2012||Andrejs Romanovs||Leonids Ribickis||Arnis Lektauers||Yuri Merkuryev|
|2013||Andrejs Romanovs||Leonids Ribickis||Arnis Lektauers||Yuri Merkuryev|
|2014||Leonids Ribickis||Andrejs Romanovs||Oskars Krievs||Yuri Merkuryev|
As of 1 July 2014, the IEEE Latvia Section has a total of 113 active members:
- Life Member - 1
- Senior Member - 7
- Member - 75
- Affiliate - 2
- Associate Member - 2
- Graduate Student Member - 21
- Student Member - 10
Chapters/Affinity Groups/Student branches
- 2009, IEEE Education Society Latvia Chapter was founded, with the first elected Chair Mr. Armands Strazds.
- 2010, IEEE Computer Society Latvia Chapter was founded, with the first elected Chair Professor Janis Grundspenkis.
- 2011, IEEE Latvia Section Student Branch was founded, with the first Deputy Chapter Chair Mrs. Inese Polaka
- 2013, IEEE Power Electronics Society, Industrial Electronics Society and Industry Applications Society Joint Chapter was founded, with the first Deputy Chapter Chair Professor Ilja Galkins
The Baltic Cooperation
The IEEE Latvia Section participates in a group titled the Baltic Cooperation, which consists of the following IEEE Sections: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Russia North-West, and Sweden. The objective of the IEEE Baltic Cooperation is to create a functioning collaboration between the Baltic Region sections which shall result in common activities, such as; joint events, joint chapters and common utilization of IEEE resources.
- October 2009, Celebration of 125th Anniversary of IEEE. Plenary report: “Scientific Research in Riga Technical University in 2009”, speaker Professor Leonids Ribickis, attendance: more than 200 IEEE members and guests from different countries.
- May 2010, IEEE Region 8 94th Committee Meeting in Riga, Latvia, May 7-9, 2010. Region 8 Committee awarded Latvia Section for Exemplary Service and Dedication as a host of the 94th IEEE Region 8 Committee Meeting.
- February 2011, Technical Co-sponsor of 2011 Baltic Congress on Future Internet Communications BCFIC Riga 2011
- June 2011, first IEEE Distinguished Lecturers Program’ Lection in Latvia, Prof. Manos M.Tentzeris, "Inkjet-Printed Paper/Polymer-Based "Green" RFID and Wireless Sensor Nodes: The Final Step to Bridge Cognitive Intelligence, Nanotechnology and RF"
- October 2012, Technical Co-sponsor of 1st Congress of World Engineers and Riga Polytechnical Institute
- June 2013, Technical Co-Sponsor of the EUNIS 2013 Congress “ICT role for Next Generation Universities”
- November 2013, Co-Organizer of the 1st IEEE workshop on Advances in Information, Electronic and Electrical Engineering, organized by Latvia and Lithuania Sections
- August 2014, Technical Co-Sponsor of the European BEST (Board of European Students of Technology) Engineering Competition 2014 Final